England's Children

I am an Anglo-Saxon yet born in Australia. My family from both sides is British. This blog is my space to ponder England's past, present and future, and in particular to discuss the problems I see facing England and the English today. England is a wealthy and powerful nation, yet its people seem increasingly angry, lost, frustrated and worried about their country. Why? Maybe in this blog I'll come up with some of the answers...

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

The English in Australia - why they come here.

It’s no secret that there are a lot of English out here in Australia, some of whom have been here for decades, while others are more recent arrivals. I’m always keen to ask them why they decided to move here, and invariably I get answers like, “The weather here is better”, or “I’ve got family here and wanted to be near them”. However, the answer that I hear most often goes something like this:

“I got so sick of England, I didn’t feel at home there anymore. It’s changed too much”.

When I enquire further into their reasons it isn’t long before I get a more in depth list. They often don’t like the EU and feel that England doesn’t need to be a part of it. They also don’t like the hoards of migrants who have come into the country and not assimilated, nor even tried to learn the English language. Apparently, political correctness is rampart in England to the point of silencing the English majority from any kinds of opinions they have about what is happening to their country.

When I ask if they’d ever like to return one day they almost universally answer with a definite no! One guy at work, who is from Liverpool, has no interest in the well being of his homeland anymore. For him, it has virtually ceased to exist.

I find this a terrible shame. Multitudes of English people, on their own or whole families are fleeing their country not because of any civil war, or poverty or lack of opportunities; they are leaving because they simply don’t feel as if it is their country anymore. It is now owned by corporations, minority groups and PC government thugs.

I’ve been to England twice now and both times I couldn’t wait to get there! And while I was there I loved every minute of it! I wonder then… what am I seeing in England that its native born population isn’t?

1 Comments:

At 8:06 pm, Blogger Anthony Wallis said...

You're seeing your roots and a far more complex 'English' culture than we find in Australia. You're participating in a richer use of the English language, seeing the references from your education in the English system all around you etc. The problem for us Aussies is that we can't accept the hierachies that lie beneath the age-old structure of English society. And that's why the young English are getting out of there. It's not the EU, it's waking up to their inequalities in their own society and their hopeless prospects there in economic terms. I survived eighteen months living in London back in the early 1970's when there was an awakening from a long complacent sleep.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home